Wednesday, 9 December 2015

Who wants to be a bioprocessing millionaire.

3. Entry blog 2 October 2015: 3rd bioprocessing class

1st week of October and the 3rd bioprocessing lecture. Today we discussed the different equipment you can use for your bioprocess and the factors to consider when designing your bioprocess. Since we were really making 2 products, we decided to split our group up into 2 teams in charge of cheese production and cream cracker production respectively. I chose to be on the cream cracker production team as it was a food I really found interesting. After the lecture, I really dove deep into what is involved in our cracker making process. I had given the task of looking up what strain of yeast will we have to use to my team member and I researched the type(s) of flours we can use to make the gluten-free cracker.
The 2nd half of the lecture, some of the groups presented their ideas. They were all really good ideas, albeit, I didn’t really understand some of the project proposals coming from the pharmaceutical groups, but their delivery of the proposal was spot on. Reflecting back on the presented project ideas, I got a really good sense of what everyone is doing and how far they are along with their concept compared to our group.

Research this week consisted of critically thinking about our bioprocess, the factors to consider/control (temperature, pH, oxygen/gas content, mixing time, dough consistency, batch or continuous process etc.) and the type(s) of flours we can use for the gluten-free cracker. I found the tasks involved during this week to be enjoyable, building and strengthening my communication skills (interacting with my group) and my research skills (in digging up information on the above topics).

No comments:

Post a Comment