Tuesday, 8 December 2015

Processing Emotions

2. Entry blog 25th September 2015: 2nd bioprocessing class

2nd class for the bioprocessing module, and I still have no idea what bioprocessing is. However, the first task for this class was to write down what our understanding of bioprocessing is. I really found this task worthwhile as I realised that I had such a gap in my knowledge of this particular topic, and how I thought I had a firm grasp of what bioprocessing actually is. My first thought about what bioprocessing is “The study of the processes involved in the production of pharmaceutical/nutraceutical products by taking advantage of natural bioprocesses to produce your desired product”. By undertaking this task, I realised I needed to know more about bioprocessing which prompted me to do my own research at home, reading about things that could be useful in this module, strengthening my fundamental knowledge of bioprocessing.

The second part of the class, was more of an interactive class. It was during this time that I formed a group to undertake this bioprocessing module with me. Together, we will venture into a world none of us has experienced before. I usually enjoy group work, I see myself as more of a detail-oriented guy and sometimes I miss the big picture. Working in a group, will increase the chances of coming up with something I would have never done had I been on my own. During our first group meeting, the idea came to us, for a convenient, healthy snack product comprising of cream crackers and a cream cheese spread on the side infused with oregano oils.
We researched in science direct what we could add that would be something different for our cream crackers and voila, a gluten-free cream cracker that may or may not be infused with different herbs/spices for added flavour/variety, but also can be topped with different toppings like seeds and such (sesame seeds, poppy seeds, flax seeds etc).

For our task this week, we had to look what the next big bioprocess could be. Consolidated bioprocessing seemed to be the way forward, however, this had very little to do with food production and I’m starting to feel like this module probably isn’t that suited with the food industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment